Thursday, May 20, 2010

Welcome to Cairo and the Pyramids

Hey everyone!  This will be my first post even though I have already been in Cairo for over a week.  I did not have access to continuous internet until two days ago, so now I will hopefully write on a more consistent basis.

So far Egypt has been absolutely amazing!  My experience thus far has been unbelievable, and it has lived up to the high expectations I had for this trip.  Our group arrived in Egypt after the most ridiculous journey ever.  After traveling for over 24 hours and having had multiple delays, we finally reached Cairo at about 12 AM on Monday, May 10th.  We were all so tired from the trip and the seemingly eternal time spent in Frankfurt airport, but nevertheless we were finally in Cairo and we were so incredibly excited.  Our first full day was very relaxed in which we simply took a stroll through the neighborhood we are located in, Zamalek, and later took an Arabic placement test for our Arabic classes.

On Tuesday, May 11th, we went to Giza to see the pyramids and the Sphinx.  Me and my roommate Curtis had a bit of trouble waking up that morning, as my alarm clock was not sufficient in waking our sleep deprived bodies.  However, we miraculously did make the bus to Giza (thanks to our friends Mary and Christine knocking on our door).  I am so thankful that we did wake up in time, because last Tuesday was by far one of the best days of my life.  We arrived to Giza, and immediately as we get out of the bus, we are greeted by tens of camels ready for us.  I jumped on the first camel I saw, realizing one of my goals for this trip.  I rode the camel with the rest of my group to a bit of an elevated part of the desert where you had an amazing view of the pyramids.  As I got off my beautiful camel, who I named Sultan, I simply stared at the pyramids.  It was one of the most incredible things I have ever seen.  The view was stunning, and there it hit me that I was in fact in Egypt.  I had always thought that riding a camel and seeing the pyramids would be awesome, but when you actually see it, it is unbelievable.  It was truly sublime.

We took a multitude of pictures there and then we got back on our camels and rode down to see the Sphinx, which was pretty cool as well.  Seeing the Sphinx with the pyramids behind it was another splendid view that I had the good fortune to enjoy under the hot Egyptian sun.  Overall it was a perfect day, and I know that I will one day return to Giza.

No comments:

Post a Comment